This morning, 12/19, I had an adult dark morph Snow Goose fly over my
head at the Lake Woodruff NWR in DeLeon Springs, Volusia Co. The bird
was headed toward Spring Garden Lake I lost sight of the bird but
moments later there was a barrage of shotgun fire from hunters on the
lake. Hopefully, the Snow Goose made it.

Later today, I stopped off at the Tomoka Basin in Tomoka State Park and
found about 7 Black Scoters and one beautiful male Surf Scoter on the
open water. There were several thousand Lesser Scaup and at least 7
Greater Scaup. The wind was howling out of the NE, so I went over to the
beach at Ormond-by-the-Sea and found 5 − 10,000 Black Scoters sitting on
the ocean over several miles just beyond the breakers. There were some
Lesser Scaup sitting with them, but the vast majority were dense rafts
of Black Scoters. I am sure there were other scoters with them, but the
birds were constantly rising in view for just a moment and disappearing
with the huge waves.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center