Hi Samantha et al, for geospatial networks I use two approaches:

1) For smaller networks I use Gephi's Geo Layout plugin and use a PERL
script to write GEXF files with embedded lat/long coordinate attributes on
the nodes. I export the final network with a transparent background and
then align on top of the desired geographic basemap.  You can see two
examples here:

http://blog.gdeltproject.org/mapping-the-geographic-networks-of-global-refugee-flows/
http://blog.gdeltproject.org/a-country-level-network-diagram-of-2015/

2)  For extremely large to massive networks I use GraphViz and project into
its coordinate space, using its rasterizer to render the final image, which
I then composite against a basemap using ImageMagick. While not the
absolute fastest rasterizer possible (no hardware acceleration for
example), I've found GraphViz to be among the most scalable and fastest of
the libraries and tools I've worked with to be able to scale to extremely
large geographic networks.

I have not tried it yet, but GraphViz also has a built-in edge bundling
library called "mingle" that has a lot of promise for very dense geographic
networks.

~K