Dear Colleagues,
Wouter de Nooy and I are organizing a session on "Networks from Interaction
Events" at the EUSN conference in Paris in June. Find the abstract for our
session below.
If you're interested, we would like you to submit your abstract to the
conference homepage (http://eusn2016.sciencesconf.org/resource/page/id/4), and
to send it to us directly (so that we know about your interest). It would help
indicating that you'd like to take part in our session at the start of your
abstract - otherwise the organizers will assign your presentation to a session.
We see this as a long-term collaborative research endeavor, so we're keen on
getting in contact with interested researchers, on hearing about their work, and
on discussing ideas with each other.
Note that the conference will take place at the same time as the European
Football Championships in France. Early booking of accommodation is probably a
good idea ...
Best from Berlin,
Jan

Session: Social Networks from Interaction Events
Organizers: Jan Fuhse (HU Berlin), Wouter de Nooy (U Amsterdam)
The network structure of human interaction is rapidly gaining prominence in
social network analysis. Theoretical developments in relational sociology or in
network exchange theory refocus on human interaction as the foundation of social
relations. New data collection techniques, for example Big Data from
communication and tracking devices, offer data on what people do and with whom
they are doing it with an unprecedented time and spatial resolution. The
traditional apparatus of social network analysis, focusing on relations as
stable social ties, is not designed for relational events that last only for a
very short time. This session is dedicated to the development of new theoretical
concepts, models, and analytical techniques for analyzing social networks of
interaction events. We welcome papers theorizing or testing the links between
social relations and interaction, proposing or applying network models to event
data, or exploring the possibilities and limits of collecting relational event
data. Relevant research techniques include quantitative analyses of relational
event dynamics (in event history models or regression analyses) as well as
qualitative investigation of the negotiation of the meaning of relations and
identities, drawing on discourse analytical approaches like conversation
analysis and sociolinguistics.