Hi Stephen,

though I have no experience with research on ideology, I will try to
suggest something relevant to your topic.
By using positional analysis, a network is partitioned in order to
gauge, among other things, to what extent it is composed of dominant
and dominated positions, depending on the resulting structural
patterns. This does not necessarily encompass any substantive
considerations regarding those whom act as dominant or dominated
players. This is a matter of attributes rather than structure.

Nonetheless, those standing in dominant positions may have idelogical
perspectives that will differ from the dominated ones, and this should
have something to do with their network positions. We can assume that
such idelogical perspectives do reinforce the positioning and vice
versa, in that those sharing the same opinions, believes, and so
forth, will probably group together and this will have an influence on
the patterns of their relations. In turn, this will affect positions
in the network.

I'm sure you already know some of the (quite abundant) literature
about this, but I hope to have given a tiny contribution to your
reflections.

Regards
Marco