Dear fellow network analysts,

Thank you all for the suggestions! I compiled a list of sources on the
subject of using photos as a source of data for social science research.
Hopefully this will benefit other researchers as well.

Abbott, K. M., Bettger, J. P., Hampton, K. N., & Kohler, H. P. 2013. The
feasibility of measuring social networks among older adults in assisted
living and dementia special care units. Dementia (London). doi:
10.1177/1471301213494524

Apicella, C. L., Marlowe, F. W., Fowler, J. H., & Christakis, N. A. (2012).
Social networks and cooperation in hunter-gatherers. Nature, 481(7382),
497-501.

Berry, Brent. "Friends for better or for worse: interracial friendship in
the United States as seen through wedding party photos." Demography 43.3
(2006): 491-510.

Crandall, D. J.; Backstrom, L.; Cosley, D.; Suri, S.; Huttenlocher, D. &
Kleinberg, J. Inferring social ties from geographic coincidences Proceedings
of the National Academy of Sciences of the US, 2010, 107, 22436-22441

Harper, D. 2002. Talking about pictures: A case for photo elicitation.
Visual studies, 17(1), 13-26.

Modesto Escobar, Modesto. 2015. "Photography, Identity and Social Networks".
2015 Sunbelt Presentation.

Valente, T. W., Fujimoto, K., Soto, D., Meeker, D. & Unger, J. B. 2013.
Variations in network boundary and type: A study of adolescent peer
influences. Social Networks, 35, 309-316.

Werner, Oswald. 1987. Systematic Fieldwork, Vol. 1. Sage. 7.4 Technology of
Observation: Film and Photography. pp. 281-285.

Best,

Chang Z. Lin

Doctoral Candidate

Department of Sociology