Hey Samantha,

The free network visualization tool Gephi (gephi.org) has that option --
you have to install the GeoLayout plugin
(marketplace.gephi.org/plugin/geolayout) and add longitude and latitude
as node attributes to your data. Then select GeoLayout from the layouts
menu and pick the projection you want to use.

If you happen to use R, somewhat surprisingly the best option for
geo-mapping of network data I've found there is in the ggplot2 package
(it takes more effort to do this within igraph or Statnet, though it is
possible).

Both Gephi and R can export to PDF, and you can edit the resulting files
in Illustrator.

On a side note: we'll be running two network visualization workshops
(for Gephi and R) at Sunbelt 2016 (http://bit.ly/1nOndp4). Stop by if
you're at the conference - we'll do some geo-mapping. If you can't make
it there, you could ping me after and I'll send you the materials (code,
manuals, etc.).

Best,
Katya

On 1/26/2016 4:01 PM, Samantha Stratton-Short wrote:

> Can anyone please advise what is the best/easiest software for using
> longitude-latitude coordinates for node locations on a network
> visualisation. Comparability with graphics software such as adobe
> illustrator would be a plus. Thanks!
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Katherine Ognyanova, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Rutgers University
School of Communication and Information
4 Huntington St., New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Web: www.kateto.net, Twitter: @ognyanova