Hi Skye,

It'd be great to work out things in Statnet. I've mostly used this for
data at the country/city level (flights, phone call volumes, hyperlink
volumes, etc.). You have the airline data of course (that's the one
we've used for workshops in the past). Internet Archive data with
geocoded domains and links among them may be useful - I have to check if
we have anything clean enough and small enough to share.

Otherwise, off the top of my head, perhaps this: http://kateto.net/countries

It's from a Lazer Lab + Politico project. The nodes are countries
(geocoded with ggmap to wherever the google maps API pins them). The
weighted links are based on country name co-occurrence in political
documents. The visualizations use ggplot2. Oh, and we did have similar
data at the US-only level too (state co-mentions).

Best!
Katya

--
Katherine Ognyanova, Ph.D.