Hi Melonie,

The workshop materials (code, sample data, handouts) will be available
online during and after the Sunbelt conference.

As for existing guides that deal specifically with geographic layouts,
here are couple of quick pointers off the top of my head:

1) Martin Grandjean has a nice Gephi tutorial that includes a section on
geo-layouts:
    http://www.martingrandjean.ch/gephi-introduction/

2) Nathan Yau at Flowing Data had a decent tutorial on geo-networks in
R, though his approach has some issues that have to be ironed out as you
apply it to your data:
http://bit.ly/1QNe4WD

A couple more R examples:
http://stanford.io/1A17fwB