Here is a quick blog post with an example of plotting the country name
co-occurrence data from below as network-over-map in R:

http://skyeome.net/wordpress/?p=866

Seemed fairly easy, but is not doing anything sophisticated with the
edge routing like the Great Circle routes in Katherine's later posts.

best,
  -skye