The RG score is very opaque and not very useful, it seems. See http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2015/12/09/the-researchgate-score-a-good-example-of-a-bad-metric/

"According to ResearchGate, the academic social networking site, their RG Score is “a new way to measure your scientific reputation”. With such high aims, Peter Kraker, Katy Jordan and Elisabeth Lex take a closer look at the opaque metric. By reverse engineering the score, they find that a significant weight is linked to ‘impact points’ – a similar metric to the widely discredited journal impact factor. Transparency in metrics is the only way scholarly measures can be put into context and the only way biases – which are inherent in all socially created metrics – can be uncovered."

> On 12/01/2016, at 15:00 , Valdis Krebs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thanks, Michael!
>
> Seeing a lot of scholars I know appearing on ResearchGate, which may be the "LinkedIn of academia”   — https://www.researchgate.net
>
> Research Gate tracks Reads and Downloads and has their own “RG Score” based on Publications, Questions Asked, Answers Provided, and Followers.  It is like Twitter, you can Follow whoever you want w/o their permission — asymmetric network — reveals prestigious scholars?  Interestingly, my RG Score on ResearchGate is very similar to my h-index on Google Scholar.
>
> More on the RG Score — https://www.researchgate.net/publicprofile.RGScoreFAQ.html
>
> Valdis
>

>> On Jan 12, 2016, at 3:40 PM, Vitevitch, Michael S <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> On page 16571 [bottom of column 1, top of column 2] of the 2005 article by Hirsch in PNAS he provides some context for the m- and h-index. As he suggests on that page
>>
>> h~12 —> “might be a typical value for advancement to tenure”
>> h~18 —> “might be a typical value for advancement to full professor"
>> Etc.
>>
>> Unfortunately he doesn’t provide any suggestions or guidance on which counts to use (Google, or other).
>>
>> Some scholars are also including “altmetrics” about their work (I.e, number of views, downloads, shares) even if that work is not cited in a professional journal.
>>
>> With open-access journals, and metrics like h, the landscape of academic publishing is rapidly shifting…

Dr Mark C. Wilson || Department of Computer Science, University of Auckland ||	303.588 ||	 86643
www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~mcw/blog/  || Centre for Mathematical Social Sciences: cmss.auckland.ac.nz
Academic Editor, PeerJ Computer Science || Editor, NZ Math Society Newsletter
Please don't send me Microsoft Office attachments - see https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
I'm boycotting Elsevier - see thecostofknowledge.com