From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Katherine Ognyanova
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 1:16 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SOCNET] Using GIS data for layouts

Hey Samantha,

The free network visualization tool Gephi (gephi.org) has that option -- you have to install the GeoLayout plugin
(marketplace.gephi.org/plugin/geolayout) and add longitude and latitude as node attributes to your data. Then select GeoLayout from the layouts menu and pick the projection you want to use.

If you happen to use R, somewhat surprisingly the best option for geo-mapping of network data I've found there is in the ggplot2 package (it takes more effort to do this within igraph or Statnet, though it is possible).

Both Gephi and R can export to PDF, and you can edit the resulting files in Illustrator.

On a side note: we'll be running two network visualization workshops (for Gephi and R) at Sunbelt 2016 (http://bit.ly/1nOndp4). Stop by if you're at the conference - we'll do some geo-mapping. If you can't make it there, you could ping me after and I'll send you the materials (code, manuals, etc.).

Best,
Katya

On 1/26/2016 4:01 PM, Samantha Stratton-Short wrote:

> Can anyone please advise what is the best/easiest software for using
> longitude-latitude coordinates for node locations on a network
> visualisation. Comparability with graphics software such as adobe
> illustrator would be a plus. Thanks!
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Katherine Ognyanova, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Rutgers University
School of Communication and Information
4 Huntington St., New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Web: www.kateto.net, Twitter: @ognyanova

The information contained in this email message, including any attachments, is
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient and have received this
communication in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all
copies of the original message.