Dear Valdis,

The H-Index was introduced by Hirsch (Hirsch JE (2005) An index to
quantify an individual's scientific research output. Proceedings of the
National Academy of Sciences 102:16569-16572, doi:
10.1073/pnas.0507655102)), and it is defined as: "A scientist has index
h if h of his or her Np papers have at least h citations each and the
other (Np - h) papers have <= h citations each."

Although an h-index of 16 could be high for some disciplines, for others
it could be low. The best way to know if an h-index is high, is to
compare it with the h-index of relevant colleagues in the same
field/discipline.

Finally, you can calculate the h-index in different bibliometric
databases (ISI Web of Science, Scopus, Google Scholar, etc). In each
one, the h-index could vary significantly. For example, get a citation
in ISI Web of Science is more difficult than get it in Google Scholar.

Also, the altimetrics such as paper downloaded or browser are not taken
into account in the computation of the h-index, since it only take into
account the citations received. But, some studies argue that the
altimetrics contribute positively in get more citations, and therefore
to get a higher h-index.

If you would like to read more about this topic, maybe you could be
interested in look at this web of my colleagues: http://sci2s.ugr.es/hindex

Best Regards,

Manuel Jesús.

@======================================================================@
Manuel Jesús Cobo Martín (Assistant professor).
Dept. Computer Science
University of Cádiz. 11202 Algeciras SPAIN
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Personal URL: http://sci2s.ugr.es/members#MJCobo
twitter: @mjcobomartin
Research ID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/C-5581-2011
ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-6575-803X
Scholar google profile:
http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=sc5Kz0oAAAAJ
ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Manuel_Cobo
Research group "Soft Computing and Intelligent Information Systems"
URL Research group: http://sci2s.ugr.es