Hi all

Not everything that propagates in social networks does it in a viral explosion. In fact, if propagation happens below the “epidemic threshold”, cascade dynamics is highly affected by the distribution of response/interaction times (RT times) to the point that spreading could be logarithmic in time.

We studied this type of propagation some time ago in real experiments made by IBM in viral marketing campaigns. Some of the cascades took years to die out.

Here are some links:

http://estebanmoro.org/2009/08/impact-of-human-activity-patterns-on-the-dynamics-of-information-diffusion/
J. L. Iribarren and E. Moro, Physical Review Letters 103, 038702 (2009)

http://estebanmoro.org/2011/11/branching-dynamics-of-viral-information-spreading/
Physical Review E 84, 046116 (2011)

The good thing was that we were able to model cascade dynamics using a well-known non-markovian mathematical model in branching processes.

Esteban

Esteban Moro Egido
Dept. Mathematics | Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
Tel.: (+34) 916248727 · estebanmoro.org