Dear Social Network Researchers,

Thanks for your informative forum. I have a question about the adequacy of my sampling size and overall sampling strategy.

I am working on use of assisted reproduction (AR) among Caribbean immigrant women in London (UK).

I am using respondent-driven sampling to recruit 150 immigrant women who are undergoing AR, and a random sample of 250 other immigrant women who are not undergoing AR  about  attitudes to assisted reproduction, and communication in their personal networks about (assisted) reproductive issues.

A reviewer from my college has recommended that I

(a)  limit  my sample to respondents from a few Caribbean countries, given differing linguistic and cultural differences.

(b) consider increasing my sample size to increase the study's power.

I am aware of the cultural/linguistic differences and probably limit the sample for the general population to a few countries.  However, I am having difficulty justifying the need to limit the sample for women undergoing AR to a few countries because i am not certain I would be able to have enough cases from each country, given the fact that AR practices are not commonly discussed in the population, and there is still a bit of stigma surrounding it.  So, how do I justify this issue to my research review committee?

secondly, are there any resources available for calculating an adequate sample size, if I have some idea of the population of respondents living in London?  And do I have to calculate separate samples for the AR group of women versus the other group of women, for each country chosen?

thanks - NoelaOy