Hello BESTers,

There are many reasons why food is wasted, and certainly picking
eating, especially among children, is a contributing factor (I've seen
firsthand the amount of vegetables school children throw away).  As a
reformed picky eater, this is something near and dear to me.  This
article presents an interesting angle as to why low-income children have
poorer diets.  The idea is that children on average are naturally picky
eaters, and to overcome picky eating, children must try foods several
times (I know this worked for me). The author posits that low-income
families cannot afford to have children try food and not eat it - every
calories purchased is extremely precious.  Therefore, these families
only purchase food their children will eat, which is generally has low
nutritive value.  In essence, the article is saying families that can
afford to waste food, will end up having less picky children that have
healthier diets.  (However, speaking again from personal experience, I
remember when I would try foods I didn't like, it wouldn't go to waste,
rather my parents would end up eating it).  Nevertheless, this is a
interesting idea, and shines new light on the interconnectedness of
poverty, nutrition, and food waste.

Have a great weekend,

Ryan

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/16/opinion/why-poor-children-cant-be-picky-eaters.html?_r=2

A Hidden Cost to Giving Kids Their Vegetables
Caitlin Daniel
New York Times
February 16, 2016