From: Bioenergy and Sustainable Technology Society [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mark van Soestbergen
Sent: Sunday, February 07, 2016 1:56 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Food Waste Friday #290: French food waste ban for supermarkets effective this week

Wonder if we could trial that in Alachua County..

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 9:41 PM, Graunke,Ryan E <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hello BESTers,

In a follow up to a post last year, this week marked a revolutionary day in the fight against food waste in France.  As of Wednesday, all supermarkets in France are required to donate unsold food to charities instead of discarding it.  Besides reduction, food donations are the highest and best uses for potentially discarded food, , and supermarkets are one of the greatest potential sources of food capable of being donated.  While this law is certainly an aggressive step, it will be valuable to watch it unfold to see if it is a possible model to follow in other countries.

Have a great weekend,

Ryan

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/04/french-law-forbids-food-waste-by-supermarkets

French law forbids food waste by supermarkets
Angelique Chrisafis
The Guardian
February 4, 2016

--