Hello everyone,

This past Saturday we had Tech Day and 13 new hams got their tickets! The new callsigns should be posted sometime in the next week in the FCC ULS database.

I know some people might wish to upgrade their license. This Saturday is the usual ARRL testing day at Santa Fe college organized by Allan West (WA4JD). If you wish to attend the testing session, contact Allan (CC'ed on this mail) for details. If you do not have your callsign yet, but you have your CSCE (that paper you were given when you passed), you can bring that as proof of passing technician.

Some of you might be interested in getting a VHF/UHF radio to start. There are a bunch on the market, but one of common entry-level devices is the Baofeng UV-5R. It is not the best radio circuitry and is not the easiest to use, but the price is attractive. If you wish for something much nicer you might consider the Yaesu FT-60R with its large screen and simple controls. There are many high-quality radios from Yaesu, Kenwood, and Icom as well.

You are always welcome to listen to amateur radio communications (even without a license). Actually "Shortwave Listening" is a popular hobby. The cheap RTL-SDR is a common, inexpensive way to listen in.
If you are new and have not yet joined the email list, this will be the only email you receive. To join, go to: http://gatorradio.org/listserv.html

If you want to meet some of the student and faculty hams at UF, we typically meet Thursdays at 7:30 at our station in the Dental Tower at Shands. Join the email list and Moises will send out details about our station nights!

The Gainesville Amateur Radio Society (gars.net, K4GNV) typically meets once a month. You can find out details about the next meeting at: http://gars.net/Meetings.html.

73,

Andy
KK4LWR