Hello Kitty et al.,

I'm replying to the list with the thought that others may find this
information useful. I know I'll find it helpful if others do likewise! We
are a small private college in a small city, so perhaps not quite a peer
institution, but we have some common elements.

A. Yes, we offer writing support.
1. Yes, our Writing Center has a physical location. It is located in the
library and was funded by a specific donation for the purpose.
2. The Writing Center employs a full-time director and no other
administrative staff.
3. No professional tutors staffed.
4. Last count I knew, the Writing Center was staffing 17 student tutors. I
believe it has grown somewhat since then.
5. The Writing Center can comfortably serve two students at the same time,
though they occasionally serve three (they have "overflow" space in the
library proper).
6. Approximately 1300-1500 sessions per year.
7. They use WC Online and have had tremendous success with it.

B. Yes, we offer 1:1 content tutoring.
1. No, we do not have a physical location for content tutoring.
2. We have one full-time director, who also oversees SI and peer academic
coaching. No other administrative staff, except for a student office
assistant who works 8-10 hours per week.
3. No professional tutors.
4. About 60-80 peer tutors per semester.
5. N/A
6. We don't have enough semesters of reliable data yet to answer this
question with certainty!
7. Sadly, no. We use Google Forms for reporting purposes, which allows us
to track some very basic statistics.

C. Yes, we offer Supplemental Instruction.
1. No, we do not have a physical location.
2. We have one full-time administrator (the same person who directors
tutoring), assisted by the same student office assistant mentioned above.
3. No professional tutors/leaders.
4. Roughly 7-10 student SI leaders per term.
5. N/A
6. Very approximately - about 350 sessions per year, with about 3 students
per session.
7. No; we do all of this on hard copy, transferred to spreadsheets.

I hope this is helpful!
Emily

Emily Janssen
Carthage College
Director of Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction
(262) 551-6047
HL 225