****Reminder****

Call for Abstracts for organized session on "Words and Networks" at conference
"Networks in the Global World 2016 - Multiple Structures and Dynamics:
Applications of Network Analysis to European Societies and Beyond"
July 1-3, St. Petersburg, Russia

www.ngw.spbu.ru

Deadline: March 1st 2016

Chairs: Adina Nerghes, VU University Amsterdam and Jana Diesner, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

This session is dedicated to cutting edge research at the nexus of text analysis and network analysis. While text analysis/ natural language processing and network analysis have evolved into mature yet quickly advancing fields, work at their intersection is less prevalent. Bridging this gap matters, since prior research has shown that without considering the content of text data, we are limited in our ability to understand the effects of language use in networks and vice versa. Jointly considering text data and network data enables the analysis of networks along multiple dimensions of human behavior, namely language use and social interactions, which ultimately helps to advance our understanding of the interplay and co-evolution of socio-technical networks and information. This conceptualization has inspired eminent work in areas such as: language change, the diffusion and adoption of information and beliefs online and offline, collective problem solving through information propagation, and relation extraction techniques.
To enable progress in this area, scholars have developed powerful and scalable methods and tools for analyzing text data authored or shared by network participants, as well as for language-based interactions. However, there is gap between theoretical foundations for these solutions and actual implementations in the form of empirical and computational work. For this session, we are looking for contributions that bridge the gap between theories related to language use and networks, and for methods/ tools that help bridging this gap. We are particularly interested in work that advances theories about the use or production of language or text data and integrates with network analytic methods and technologies.
Furthermore, we welcome methodological and theoretical contributions on the role and importance of context. The social context in which text is produced and consumed defines what topics and issues may be discussed, and to some extent, how these topics and issues are discussed. While text analysis and network analysis are versatile approaches, the socio-cultural context in which texts are produced may impact the degree to which meaningful information can be inferred. To this end, we are interested in work that addresses the social construction of meanings, the ways in which meanings are constrained by specific social contexts, and on text and network analytical methods adapted to capture these interactional aspects of text and meanings.
Another area of interest for this session is the conceptualization of network analysis metrics for the specific case of word networks. While it is common to apply social network analysis metrics to networks of words (or socio-semantic networks), very little effort has been dedicated to theorizing on how these metrics apply to networks in which the nodes are concepts or words. Arguably, a more wide-ranging conceptualization of network metrics for semantic networks would guide researchers in selecting those centrality metrics appropriate for their research goals and would support the inference of more robust interpretations of results. As such, we encourage contributions to the reconceptualization of network measures as tools of analysis in the specific case of word networks.

Please submit your abstract (not exceeding 200 words) at http://ngw.spbu.ru/submission before March 1st 2016.

When submitting, don’t forget to select the session title “Words and Networks" from the list.

The conference website (www.ngw.spbu.ru) provides additional information.

We are looking forward to your contributions. Email any questions to [log in to unmask][log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask].

Sincerely,

Adina Nerghes
PhD Candidate, Department of Organization Sciences
Faculty of Social Sciences
T +31 20 59 84363 | [log in to unmask]
Mail address: De Boelelaan 1081 |1081 HV Amsterdam | The Netherlands
Visiting addressDe Boelelaan 1105 | Amsterdam | 3rd floor | Room 3A - 75