>Not sure how a self-driving car will excuse one from paying for fuel/gas,
>insurance, maintenance, parking, etc.  Won't all of the above be included
>in cost of car service?

Yes, but it will be spread-out across everyone using the car. Centralized
electric-charging is cheaper than gasoline (and better for the
environment), insurance will be based on the safety of the algorithm - not
on crazy humans, maintenance is cheaper in bulk.

Parking is the big one. I don't have to pay for a garage to store a fleet
car. I don't have to drive around looking for a spot or pay a meter if a
self-driving car can drop me off and then go drive someone else around
while I work or eat dinner. That car or another will be available when I'm
ready for another ride.

-Christopher Ferry, CRM
Boston, MA