The homicide files sat untouched for years in the dingy basement at a South
Side police station, thousands of aging manila folders locked away in
cabinets cataloging seven decades of long-forgotten killings.

Stuffed with manually typed police reports, scribbled detectives' notes,
faded lineup cards and other evidence, the so-called "street files" might
never have seen the light of day.

But now about 500 of the files — located in 23 cabinets — have landed at
the center of a court fight over whether the Chicago Police Department for
years violated its own directives by hiding evidence from criminal defense
lawyers.

http://trib.in/1Tjx2br
http://trib.in/1Tjx2br+

--