At both universities I have worked we paid tutors for all time spent
training, including homework. We did at times have tutors who completed
training as volunteers prior to being hired, or chose to take it for credit
elsewhere, but once hired we pay them for any mandatory training.

Wendy Simmerman
BYU Independent Study

--
Wendy