From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Todd Parks
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 10:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Teaching Students Good Time Management Habits

Garri,

You write, "We are having trouble with students (particularly freshmen and sophomores) not completing readings and other work because they are prioritizing their job and other coursework." The key phrase is "they are prioritizing." I do not teach students to manage time; I teach them to manage priorities. I believe it is helpful to start with values clarification. How can one prioritize if they do not know what is important to them? I also help students develop goals that are congruent with their values and identify the steps needed to achieve their goals. Then we talk about scheduling, resources, and strategies for completing important tasks.

If you want to discuss in greater detail, let me know.

Todd

Todd Parks, EdD
Coordinator of Academic Support Services Piedmont Virginia Community College
501 College Drive
Charlottesville, VA 22902-7589
434.961-5499 (student appointments)
434.961.6524 (office)
434.961.5425 (fax)
www.pvcc.edu<http://www.pvcc.edu/>

[http://www.pvcc.edu/files/pvccemaillogo.gif]

 [facebook icon] <http://www.facebook.com/piedmontvacc>  [twitter icon] <http://www.twitter.com/piedmontvacc> [youtube icon] <https://www.youtube.com/user/PVCCVIRGINIA> [instagram icon] <http://www.instagram.com/piedmontvacc> [linkedin icon] <https://www.linkedin.com/edu/school?id=164151>