From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Vanessa Natseway
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Required payment for tutor course

Hi everyone,
We require our new tutors to take a one-credit tutor training course within the current semester they are employed. The course is set up as a hybrid, so as students they have lessons to complete online as well as class attendance at live training workshops. The tutors are provided a tuition waiver for the course. It has been our practice to pay them when they come for the live trainings, but not for time spent doing the online lessons.

Recently, a tutor has requested payment for the online piece as well, citing that the Fair Labor Standards Act requires wages be paid for any training that is mandatory, occurs outside normal working hours, and is directly related to the job. The tutor states that just because it is called "homework" as part of  a course does not prevent it from being paid training time and cites several Opinion Letters of the same Act in support of this stance.

I searched through the LRNASST Archives but couldn't find anything this specific. Of course I am seeking guidance from our HR department as well as other college officials, but if anyone has experience with or advice for this type of situation, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Vanessa