From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Malewicki, Debbie
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 9:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Sharing names of tutees with Faculty

We use an online scheduling and reporting software that requires students to select, upon login, whether or not they want their instructor notified of the visit.  If they select "yes," then their professor receives an email Monday morning listing visits for all students in her/his class who chose that option for the prior week, including the date/time of the visit, the tutor's notes on what was covered in the session, and the tutor's recommendation on whether or not a follow-up visit would be a good idea with the instructor or the tutor.

If the student chooses not to notify the professor of the visit, then it is covered under FERPA, and we do not release that information without the student's written consent.  Occasionally a faculty member will request this information, so I take the name of the student, tell the professor I will follow up, and then ask the student's permission without commenting on the student's visit record with us.

We do release visit records to the Athletics Compliance Officer at our school because student athletes sign waivers giving this person and their coach access to their academic records.  However, while a student athlete's visit records may be reported to the compliance officer, they remain private in relation to faculty without the student's consent.

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, MA
Director, Center for Learning Resources
Winner of the 2016 ATP Program of Excellence Award Safe Zone Ally
116 Marvin K. Peterson Library
University of New Haven -- "A Leader in Experiential Education"
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, CT  06516
Phone:  (203) 932-7415
Fax:  (203) 931-6013
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

"Tutoring to Help You Blossom Into a Better Student”

Thought of the day:  “A man can fail many times, but he isn’t a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.”  By John Burroughs