All,

I second the recommendation to watch Dan Pink's Ted Talk, and I highly encourage you to add his book Drive to your reading list as well. In a business sense, you might argue about the realistic chances of a) the honesty and work ethic required of the employees and b) the trust and risk-taking ability of the managers for these models to be effective; however, his research translates pretty well, at least on a conceptual level, to higher education. I also highly HIGHLY encourage checking out Leonard’s blog and ThinkWell LearnWell diagram, and Dr. McGuire’s book.

As is the case with many, if not most, college students, my students have been motivated to attend college to find a solution that involves a higher paycheck. This is a valid, logical motivation, especially if money is a need at the moment and indeed a solution to whatever prompted the original reason. Once money is no longer an issue, or if it is not the right solution, we still need something to get us up in the morning. Thus, Dan Pink’s intrinsic vs. extrinsic motivation.

As Nic points out, what’s interesting is how each of us fills in the blank: “I don’t care about ______” or “I don’t know how to _________.” How often do we assume that what motivates us also will motivate others? How often do we assume that what we value, which drives our motivation, is what others value? How quick are we to fall into our “expert blind spot”? This is especially true when what motivates us might be extrinsic, when what motivates students might be intrinsic. When students’ original motivation is intrinsic, they can be very limited and stubborn about what they do and don’t care about enough to learn how to do or not do. When those motivations become extrinsic, students are allowed to discover things they do care about and find an inherent worth in learning itself. Metacognition is powerful because it takes the daunting, uninteresting task of regurgitation and turns it into a thought-provoking, personal learning experience.

From my experience, students need to develop an identity as a professional in a respected field, not just as a paycheck-earner, to be able to see themselves within their learning.  Alvin, the Confucius quote you have on your signature line speaks perfectly to this. The art is knowing that this takes time and maturity, neither of which may be readily available. Thankfully, we have many, many excellent resources in our learning center community who are passionate and willing to help for the sake of student success. That, in itself, is motivating for me!

As Dr. McGuire points out, the way we approach learning—as a means to a bigger paycheck, or as something more—provides us with a starting point for how we motivate students.

Teresa Milligan, MLE

Senior Instructor, Elftmann Student Success Center