I’ve taken a cue from financial planners who for generations have taught clients to develop a budget. However,  longitudinal studies showed that despite the painstaking effort that went into creating the budgets and their clients’ agreement the budget was feasible, they realized that no one really sticks to them. The budgeting process made the financial planner feel like s/he had accomplished something; having the budget made the client feel accomplished, but there was no long-term follow-through.

Financial planners have found more success by helping clients become aware of their spending, and then helping them discuss changes they’d like to make.  The short of the story is that when clients realized that, “Oh, we’re spending X amount of money on ___ and___,” they begin to make the adjustments.  Of course, this is much more palatable because it is internally driven as opposed to externally forced. If we want students to study and continue doing so, then we must activate their intrinsic motivation.

With students, I’ve found that students underestimate how much time have to study because they:
underestimate how much time they actually have available.  They REALLY believe that they have no time, but usually after going through time awareness activities they “find” time.
underestimate the amount of time it takes to deeply read material.
They don’t match time with their energy level.  When they mix-match their time and energy, they may apportion time to study when they have low levels of energy — bummer!
Practically, you may want to have them select one day initially to track their time and energy, then try to find at least one small window of opportunity to study.  However, if they don’t know how to study effectively (i.e., in ways that produce significant, direct results for their efforts), then they will not continue “wasting” their time in this manner.

I hope this helps.

Leonard Geddes Business Owner, The LearnWell Projects
Tel: 1-866-337-3030 <tel:>
[log in to unmask] |www.thelearnwellprojects.com <http://www.thelearnwellprojects.com/>

 <https://twitter.com/@learnwelledu> <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/leonard-geddes/62/aa4/424/> <https://www.facebook.com/thelearnwellprojects?ref=hl&bookmark_t=page>