***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** The following study found that people were more likely to join Facebook when invited from people who are not connected to each other (possibly representing different groups of friends, colleagues, etc...).

Ugander, J., Backstrom, L., Marlow, C., & Kleinberg, J. (2012). Structural diversity in social contagion. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 109(16), 5962–5966. http://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1116502109

Recently, I found something similar for the contagion of political campaign donations: donation is more likely when exposed to earlier donors from different groups, rather than from equally many donors from a single group. So, exposure to information from multiple sources has a larger effect when the sources are independent (in terms of network relations).

Traag, V. A. (2016). Complex Contagion of Campaign Donations. http://arxiv.org/abs/1601.07679

Best,

Vincent Traag