Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 11:02:35 +0000
From: "[utf-8] Complexity Digest" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[utf-8] Barry" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [utf-8] Latest Complexity Digest Posts

Learn about the latest and greatest related to complex systems research. More at http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=ac8308d5d3&e=55e25a0e3e

The dynamics of information-driven coordination phenomena: A transfer entropy analysis

    Data from social media provide unprecedented opportunities to investigate the processes that govern the dynamics of collective social phenomena. We consider an information theoretical approach to define and measure the temporal and structural signatures typical of collective social events as they arise and gain prominence. We use the symbolic transfer entropy analysis of microblogging time series to extract directed networks of influence among geolocalized subunits in social systems. This methodology captures the emergence of system-level dynamics close to the onset of socially relevant collective phenomena. The framework is validated against a detailed empirical analysis of five case studies. In particular, we identify a change in the characteristic time scale of the information transfer that flags the onset of information-driven collective phenomena. Furthermore, our approach identifies an order-disorder transition in the directed network of influence between social
subunits. In the absence of clear exogenous driving, social collective phenomena can be represented as endogenously driven structural transitions of the information transfer network. This study provides results that can help define models and predictive algorithms for the analysis of societal events based on open source data.

The dynamics of information-driven coordination phenomena: A transfer entropy analysis
Javier Borge-Holthoefer, Nicola Perra, Bruno Gonçalves, Sandra González-Bailón, Alex Arenas, Yamir Moreno, and Alessandro Vespignani

Science Advances  01 Apr 2016:
Vol. 2, no. 4, e1501158
http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=d2c6080644&e=55e25a0e3e

See it on Scoop.it (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=1aab450b3c&e=55e25a0e3e) , via Papers (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=fa96e9b3ea&e=55e25a0e3e)

Crisis in complex social systems: A social theory view illustrated with the chilean case

    The article argues that crises are a distinctive feature of complex social systems. A quest for connectivity of communication leads to increase systems' own robustness by constantly producing further connections. When some of these connections have been successful in recent operations, the system tends to reproduce the emergent pattern, thereby engaging in a non-reflexive, repetitive escalation of more of the same communication. This compulsive growth of systemic communication in crisis processes, or logic of excess, resembles the dynamic of self-organized criticality. Accordingly, we first construct the conceptual foundations of our approach. Second, we present three core assumptions related to the generative mechanism of social crises, their temporal transitions (incubation, contagion, restructuring), and the suitable modeling techniques to represent them. Third, we illustrate the conceptual approach with a percolation model of the crisis in Chilean education system.

Crisis in complex social systems: A social theory view illustrated with the chilean case
Aldo Mascareño, Eric Goles, and Gonzalo A. Ruz

Complexity

http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=8edc5ccc20&e=55e25a0e3e

See it on Scoop.it (http://unam.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=50f6f728b2&e=55e25a0e3e) , via Papers (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=371d22387d&e=55e25a0e3e)

The Death and Life of Great Italian Cities: A Mobile Phone Data Perspective

    The Death and Life of Great American Cities was written in 1961 and is now one of the most influential book in city planning. In it, Jane Jacobs proposed four conditions that promote life in a city. However, these conditions have not been empirically tested until recently. This is mainly because it is hard to collect data about "city life". The city of Seoul recently collected pedestrian activity through surveys at an unprecedented scale, with an effort spanning more than a decade, allowing researchers to conduct the first study successfully testing Jacobs's conditions. In this paper, we identify a valuable alternative to the lengthy and costly collection of activity survey data: mobile phone data. We extract human activity from such data, collect land use and socio-demographic information from the Italian Census and Open Street Map, and test the four conditions in six Italian cities. Although these cities are very different from the places for which Jacobs's conditions were
spelled out (i.e., great American cities) and from the places in which they were recently tested (i.e., the Asian city of Seoul), we find those conditions to be indeed associated with urban life in Italy as well. Our methodology promises to have a great impact on urban studies, not least because, if replicated, it will make it possible to test Jacobs's theories at scale.

The Death and Life of Great Italian Cities: A Mobile Phone Data Perspective
Marco De Nadai, Jacopo Staiano, Roberto Larcher, Nicu Sebe, Daniele Quercia, Bruno Lepri

http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=5553305a13&e=55e25a0e3e

See it on Scoop.it (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=4f629df665&e=55e25a0e3e) , via Papers (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=b8ea7216ca&e=55e25a0e3e)

Heterogeneity of Global and Local Connectivity in Spatial Network Structures of World Migration

    We examine world migration as a social-spatial network of countries connected via movements of people. We assess how multilateral migratory relationships at global, regional, and local scales coexist ("glocalization"), divide ("polarization"), or form an interconnected global system ("globalization"). To do this, we decompose the world migration network (WMN) into communities---sets of countries with denser than expected migration connections---and characterize their pattern of local (i.e., intracommunity) and global (i.e., intercommunity) connectivity. We distinguish community signatures---"cave", "biregional", and "bridging"---with distinct migration patterns, spatial network structures, temporal dynamics, and underlying antecedents. Cave communities are tightly-knit, enduring structures that tend to channel local migration between contiguous countries; biregional communities are likely to merge migration between two distinct geographic regions (e.g., North Africa and
Europe); and bridging communities have hub-and-spoke structures that tend to emerge dynamically from globe-spanning movements. We find that world migration is neither globally interconnected nor reproduces the geographic boundaries as drawn on a world map but involves a heterogeneous interplay of global and local tendencies in different network regions. We discuss the implications of our results for the understating of variability in today's transnational mobility patterns and migration opportunities across the globe.

Heterogeneity of Global and Local Connectivity in Spatial Network Structures of World Migration
Valentin Danchev, Mason A. Porter

http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=708ed65c2a&e=55e25a0e3e

See it on Scoop.it (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=3293969807&e=55e25a0e3e) , via Papers (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=60dc3f9ad9&e=55e25a0e3e)

Understanding complexity through games and simulations

    In order to improve our intuitive understanding of the complex dynamics in human economy, sociology and the life sciences, a depository of games and educational simulations is being expanded at http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=90e9924a99&e=55e25a0e3e (a special multilingual website sponsored by the Central Bank of Venezuela and the University Simon Bolivar). Links to appropriate resources, submission of new material to the site, and suggestions and recommendations for its improvement are requested. The website will serve, among others, UNESCO-Unitwin-CD-DC educational activities. Contact [log in to unmask]

See it on Scoop.it (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=b6f40f3bbe&e=55e25a0e3e) , via CxAnnouncements (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=4fbcc2c2d3&e=55e25a0e3e)

The social gene

    Genetic research has moved rapidly since the publication of Richard Dawkins's The Selfish Gene 40 years ago. In the intervening years, we have come to realize that many of the most interesting and important phenomena in human biology are not caused by any single gene. Citing a wealth of recent research that explores the ways genes work together to produce complex biological processes, Itai Yanai and Martin Lercher argue that it is time to embrace a new, more holistic, metaphor in their book, The Society of Genes.

The social gene
Joseph Swift
Science  25 Mar 2016:
Vol. 351, Issue 6280, pp. 1403
http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=32b11f70d7&e=55e25a0e3e

The Society of Genes Itai Yanai and Martin Lercher Harvard University Press, 2016. 294 pp

See it on Scoop.it (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=e4f0448f0c&e=55e25a0e3e) , via CxBooks (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=ffbbd59740&e=55e25a0e3e)

Founding Editor: Gottfried Mayer.
Editor-in-Chief: Carlos Gershenson.

You can contribute to Complexity Digest selecting one of our topics (http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=63da9d37b2&e=55e25a0e3e ) and using the "Suggest" button.