Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 11:03:01 +0000
From: "[utf-8] Complexity Digest" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[utf-8] Barry" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [utf-8] Latest Complexity Digest Posts

Learn about the latest and greatest related to complex systems research. More at http://unam.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=2585f2c8b2&e=55e25a0e3e

What the Panama Papers Mean for Transparency and ’’Dark Money’’

    Last Sunday, the Washington, D.C.-based International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) published a massive leak of some 11.5 million documents covering nearly four decades that showed how world leaders, politicians and businesses hide and launder their money, evade taxes and finance arms and drug deals. The source of the leak is a little-known but powerful law firm in Panama called Mossack Fonseca, which the ICIJ describes as one of the top creators of shell companies and corporate structures that can be used to hide ownership of assets.

The ’’Panama Papers,’’ as the leaked documents are called, offer a rare opportunity to regulators in the U.K., the U.S. and other countries to bring about greater transparency in the ownership of the firms they incorporate (...)

http://unam.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=a6a0a513da&e=55e25a0e3e

See it on Scoop.it (http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=eda1fa1e84&e=55e25a0e3e) , via Papers (http://unam.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=16055048e9&e=55e25a0e3e)

Understanding the group dynamics and success of teams

    Complex problems often require coordinated group effort and can consume
significant resources, yet our understanding of how teams form and succeed
has been limited by a lack of large-scale, quantitative data. We analyse
activity traces and success levels for approximately 150’’000
self-organized, online team projects. While larger teams tend to be more
successful, workload is highly focused across the team, with only a few
members performing most work. We find that highly successful teams are
significantly more focused than average teams of the same size, that their
members have worked on more diverse sets of projects, and the members of
highly successful teams are more likely to be core members or ’’leads’’ of
other teams. The relations between team success and size, focus and
especially team experience cannot be explained by confounding factors such
as team age, external contributions from non-team members, nor by group
mechanisms such as social loafing. Taken together, these features point to
organizational principles that may maximize the success of collaborative
endeavours.

Understanding the group dynamics and success of teams
Michael Klug, James P. Bagrow

Royal Society Open Science

http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=ac08217f17&e=55e25a0e3e

See it on Scoop.it (http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=0a0f7e82eb&e=55e25a0e3e) , via Papers (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=132c76186a&e=55e25a0e3e)

The Formation of Social Conventions in Real-Time Environments

    Why are some behaviors governed by strong social conventions while others are not? We experimentally investigate two factors contributing to the formation of conventions in a game of impure coordination: the continuity of interaction within each round of play (simultaneous vs. real-time) and the stakes of the interaction (high vs. low differences between payoffs). To maximize efficiency and fairness in this game, players must coordinate on one of two equally advantageous equilibria. In agreement with other studies manipulating continuity of interaction, we find that players who were allowed to interact continuously within rounds achieved outcomes with greater efficiency and fairness than players who were forced to make simultaneous decisions. However, the stability of equilibria in the real-time condition varied systematically and dramatically with stakes: players converged on more stable patterns of behavior when stakes are high. To account for this result, we present a
novel analysis of the dynamics of continuous interaction and signaling within rounds. We discuss this previously unconsidered interaction between within-trial and across-trial dynamics as a form of social canalization. When stakes are low in a real-time environment, players can satisfactorily coordinate ’’on the fly’’, but when stakes are high there is increased pressure to establish and adhere to shared expectations that persist across rounds.

Hawkins RXD, Goldstone RL (2016) The Formation of Social Conventions in Real-Time Environments. PLoS ONE 11(3): e0151670. http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=4ec60f639a&e=55e25a0e3e

See it on Scoop.it (http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=6cd7e960a2&e=55e25a0e3e) , via Papers (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=766efe43c8&e=55e25a0e3e)

Multilayer Stochastic Block Models Reveal the Multilayer Structure of Complex Networks

    In complex systems, the network of interactions we observe between
systems components is the aggregate of the interactions that occur through
different mechanisms or layers. Recent studies reveal that the existence
of multiple interaction layers can have a dramatic impact in the dynamical
processes occurring on these systems. However, these studies assume that
the interactions between systems components in each one of the layers are
known, while typically for real-world systems we do not have that
information. Here, we address the issue of uncovering the different
interaction layers from aggregate data by introducing multilayer
stochastic block models (SBMs), a generalization of single-layer SBMs that
considers different mechanisms of layer aggregation. First, we find the
complete probabilistic solution to the problem of finding the optimal
multilayer SBM for a given aggregate-observed network. Because this
solution is computationally intractable, we propose an approximation that
enables us to verify that multilayer SBMs are more predictive of network
structure in real-world complex systems.

Multilayer Stochastic Block Models Reveal the Multilayer Structure of Complex Networks
Toni Vallčs-Catalą, Francesco A. Massucci, Roger Guimerą, and Marta Sales-Pardo
Phys. Rev. X 6, 011036 ’’ Published 31 March 2016

http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=c8775d15eb&e=55e25a0e3e

See it on Scoop.it (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=076bd9d2d8&e=55e25a0e3e) , via Papers (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=5b5a1cd49f&e=55e25a0e3e)

Data USA

    Data USA, a free, open-source data visualization tool for the US's public data

http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=c6d0741063&e=55e25a0e3e (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=2f3b7d4da4&e=55e25a0e3e)

See it on Scoop.it (http://unam.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=c1598f1f40&e=55e25a0e3e) , via CxAnnouncements (http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=dd958a1b79&e=55e25a0e3e)

Founding Editor: Gottfried Mayer.
Editor-in-Chief: Carlos Gershenson.

You can contribute to Complexity Digest selecting one of our topics (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=438f7f0650&e=55e25a0e3e ) and using the "Suggest" button.