Computational Social Science Researcher Opportunity at King Abdullah Petroleum Studies and Research Centre
We are in the process of building an extraordinary, internationally-composed team and as an independent research center and think tank financed by an endowment, KAPSARC allows researchers to pursue their work without devoting resources to raising capital. It also allows the researchers to conduct fact-based independent research on critical contemporary energy and environment issues, away from the pressures of funding organizations, sponsors and other influences.
Our goal is simple: to conduct research that creates value and prosperity for humanity by helping the adoption of sound policies, development of energy productivity, and pushing forward global economic development whilst preserving the environment. Our multi-national research team is mandated and empowered to advance humanity’s knowledge.
The selected candidate will work in the Human Geography of Energy research program, which applies multidisciplinary methods to understand a variety of phenomena in energy policy making processes and energy markets around the world. As a member of the KAPSARC research team, the successful candidate will collaborate with other KAPSARC researchers and be expected to contribute to rigorous, published research products.
This position will substantially contribute to KAPSARC’s development and application of the KAPSARC Toolkit for Behavioral Analysis (KTAB). KTAB is an open source platform for building models to allow the systematic and rigorous analysis of Collective Decision Making Processes (CDMPs). KTAB has been developed by KAPSARC to meet the need for widely available, state-of-the-art, supported, and open source software that facilitates the modeling and analysis of collective decision making.
· Contribution to theoretical innovations and developments of the toolkit.
· Collaboration with the research team to help produce applications of the toolkit during the model development process.
· Furthering the application of computational social science to the energy research questions.
· Other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, as requested by management
· Demonstrable experience with developing a model (or models) of decision making, ideally in a C++ environment.
· Excellent problem-solving skills. Willingness to creatively apply computational social science methods to solve practical problems in novel ways.
· Must be willing and excited to work with economists, social scientists, mathematicians, and other researchers to develop custom modeling software. Experience with such software development a major plus.
· Experience and comfort working with project management tools like Git a major plus.
· Strong entrepreneurial spirit and motivation to be part of a new think tank.
· Ph.D. in a relevant discipline (e.g. sociology, political science, economics, computer science, mathematics) with appropriate coursework for the research topic with 2 or more years of previous relevant experience OR a Masters Degree in a relevant discipline with 3 years or more of previous relevant experience
· Excellent command of the English language (spoken/written)
How to Apply:
Please visit our website at www.kapsarc.org to learn more and also check out the below links for a more thorough visual of the Center and its residential campus;
Human Resources Department