***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org *****
Network Analysis Researcher Opportunity at King Abdullah Petroleum Studies and Research Centre
We are in the process of building an extraordinary, internationally-composed team and as an independent research center and think tank financed by an endowment, KAPSARC allows researchers to pursue their work without devoting resources to raising capital. It also allows the researchers to conduct fact-based independent research on critical contemporary energy and environment issues, away from the pressures of funding organizations, sponsors and other influences.
Our goal is simple: to conduct research that creates value and prosperity for humanity by helping the adoption of sound policies, development of energy productivity, and pushing forward global economic development whilst preserving the environment. Our multi-national research team is mandated and empowered to advance humanity’s knowledge.
As a member of the KAPSARC research team, the successful candidate will collaborate with other KAPSARC researchers and be expected to contribute to rigorous, published research products. This position will substantially contribute to the team’s efforts to develop and refine a database, and answer analytically challenging questions, using social network and link analysis. These analyses will identify elites, decision makers, and influencers relevant to policy questions that impact energy markets in China, India, and northeast Asia more broadly.
· Member of a social network analysis team. Responsible for restructuring, extending, and cleaning up network data to support applied research questions.
· Contribute substantively to refining and formulating testable hypotheses, with the team, related to decision making and policy around energy markets in China and/or India.
· Attention to detail, and demonstrating the reliability and validity of models are paramount. All tasks must be carried out to the highest standard in order to produce reliable results.
· Other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, as requested by management
· Demonstrable research in both social network and link analysis is required. Greater consideration will be granted to candidates with applied research experience in this field.
· The candidate should have experience and demonstrability ability to build, maintain, and extend network databases.
· Experience with (or the ability to quickly learn) SQL or graph databases, iBase and Analyst’s Notebook, or a comparable enterprise level network analysis software, strongly desired.
· Excellent problem-solving skills.
· Strong entrepreneurial spirit and motivation to be part of a new think tank.
· Ph.D. in a relevant discipline (e.g. sociology, political science, economics, computer science, mathematics) with appropriate coursework for the research topic with 2 or more years of previous relevant experience OR a Masters Degree in a relevant discipline with 3 years or more of previous relevant experience
· Excellent command of the English language (spoken/written)
How to Apply:
Please visit our website at www.kapsarc.org to learn more and also check out the below links for a more thorough visual of the Center and its residential campus;
Human Resources Department