Dr. Balkundi,

Here is a new paper at the dyad level, which examines relational energy and various outcomes.  Relational energy can be positive (energizing ties) or negative (de-energizing ties).  Hope this is helpful.

Wayne Baker

Relational energy at work: Implications for job engagement and job performance.
Owens, Bradley P.; Baker, Wayne E.; Sumpter, Dana McDaniel; Cameron, Kim S.
Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol 101(1), Jan 2016, 35-49.