Hi All,

Sorry for the late post but have chased birds twice this week in Florida
from metro Atlanta and just now catching up.

I had been wanting to see a Lazuli Bunting in the southeast for some years
but it had just never quite worked out.  I saw Karen Chaisson's eBird report
on Wednesday the 6th but was hoping for more and later sighting
confirmations prior to chasing the bird as I had to wait until the weekend at
least.  Well, no reports on the bunting were to be seen through Saturday
evening on the 9th so I was kind of wistfully letting the bird go until... right
before bed I made a final sweep of Florida listservs for any good news and
found John Murphy's earlier 10:24pm Saturday night post of his sighting of
the Lazuli that day at around 4pm!

Gloriosky!  Instead of going to bed then I packed up a little bit and headed
for the coastal Florida panhandle arriving about 380 miles distant at the
Sugar Hill Campground of the Dr. Julian G. Bruce St. George Island State
Park in Franklin County at about 9:15 Sunday morning, and refound the
bird at about 10:45!  It was really great to meet Bill Phelan and the other
Lazuli chasers who arrived later in the morning, I think everyone was able
to see the bunting.

Relocated with several Indigo Buntings near or in campsite 58 and 60 at
about 10:45am.
Coordinates: 29.7205675,-84.74603
GPS: N 29 43.234 W 84 44.762

---

I was able to get a little handheld phonescoped video of the Lazuli which
some may enjoy.  The video clips and still frames can be downloaded at the

041016 Lazuli Bunting St George Island SP FL

folder on my Box site at:

https://app.box.com/shared/2yxtdkm3ta

All also easily available on Flickr at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50282116@N04/

Handheld phonescoped video and still frames may be best viewed on a
large screen.

---

A quick and easy view of some still frames of the bird can be had via the
eBird checklist as well:

---

Information concerning how to use Apple MOV movie files can be read in
my MOV Video File How-To.txt available at:

http://www.box.com/s/ojj2lap6sayrj83n9zzx

Some of the video files on the site can be a bit large and may take some
minutes to download if you don't have high-speed internet access, but it
may be best to download them to your desktop or somewhere on your
computer before running them in QuickTime. That way they may run faster
and you can keep them if you like them too. Being handheld and usually at
a very high magnification they can sometimes get a little jittery, but they
are still worth a look, especially since you can drag through frame by frame
in QuickTime and pause the video on the best parts, playing at half speed
in QuickTime can also be a good idea.

---

Thanks again Florida and Good Birding All!

Mark

Mark McShane
Georgia Birder-At-Large
Lawrenceville, Gwinnett County, Georgia