List Serve Friends and Colleagues--

We are completing our third year of IRW at Monroe Community College.  We offer two levels, IRW I and II.   Students are placed by Reading Comprehension scores on Accuplacer.  There's plenty more to say about all of this, but in terms of textbooks, we simply can't find a suitable text (for either course) that addresses IRW from the pedagogical and curricular approach on which our courses are based.

So, for our upper level course, we use our institution's Common Read.  (This year, it was The Other Wes Moore, by Wes Moore; last year was The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot; next year, I believe is a book called Spare Parts.)  We also use an interdisciplinary Hacker handbook, designed specifically for our institution.

For our lower level, we use Skip Downing's On Course so that we might specifically address the affective concerns of our most at-risk students.

By necessity, we've brought in a lot of materials beyond the class texts, and after six semesters we now have a fairly well-developed body of course materials, which we share as an open resource with our IRW faculty on our institution's on-line learning platform (we use Blackboard).

We also have an extensive professional development program for our IRW faculty, and a lot of information is developed and shared through that.

I wish I could provide a nifty text that addressed IRW in a way that's satisfying and effective, but I haven't yet found one.  Then again, once we got into our homegrown groove, I stopped looking so hard.  Something may have surfaced in the last few years.

Feel free to contact me for further details,

Judi Salsburg Taylor
Professor, ESOL/Transitional Studies Department
Monroe Community College
Rochester, New York
(585) 292-3275

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Norman Stahl <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 1:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: IRW Texts

Folks

I have a question for those teaching IRW classes.

What books are you using (or plan to use in the fall) for the class? a textbook?  trade books? other approaches?

Well then...if one question is ok ... why not a second one...

If your IRW program has two levels or more...to what level is your text assigned?

Thanks

Norm (second attempt at posting)

Norman Stahl