From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kim Ballard
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 10:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Needs assessment

Needs assessments can be especially nuanced and sophisticated studies, which should involve a statistician (in my opinion) or a senior researcher (again, in my opinion because I couldn't manage all the data).

Remember that provosts tend to like a list of raw numbers. You can, therefore, look to course grades from the past, especially courses that may be consider the old fashion "flunk out" courses or high need courses, which often include math and science but can include such gen eds as art history or music theory. How many students are struggling in those courses?

Another approach would be to look at the ACT/SAT or whatever scores of the students who are at your school. Traditionally, how many have struggled with particular courses, including writing classes or classes that have a number of written exams and papers.

You can also consider types of students. Is your school dedicated to helping individuals who are first in their families to attend college? Veterans? er Other groups? Scholarship exists about what helps these students, but IF your school categorizes the students by the categories you need, you can talk about the needs of these students.

And so many other efforts exist, too!

Kim