From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Malewicki, Debbie
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2016 3:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Evaluating Supplemental Instruction and Selecting Courses

We look at the course grades for students in the classes who used our services vs. those who did not.  If your school requires midterm grades, you could also compare student progress at midterm vs. the end of the term if they participated in the SI.

We target high D, F, and W courses with faculty who are interested in the collaboration.

As a side note, even though we're separately funded for tutoring, we usually approach the dean of the College in question for funding for SI and pay the SI leader a higher hourly rate.  If I think the dean may be skeptical, we may fund it for a semester internally and then provide the initial data as evidence of a positive impact.

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, MA
Director, Center for Learning Resources
Winner of the 2016 ATP Program of Excellence Award
Safe Zone Ally
116 Marvin K. Peterson Library
University of New Haven -- "A Leader in Experiential Education"
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, CT  06516
Phone:  (203) 932-7415
Fax:  (203) 931-6013
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

"Tutoring to Help You Blossom Into a Better Student"

Thought of the day:  "A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else."  By John Burroughs