From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Quiles, Dolores <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2016 11:41 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Class Size and Developmental Reading

At SUNY Ulster, our developmental reading and writing classes are capped at
17 and ENG 101 SWW at 15. Much of the literature today supports a cap on
developmental classes.  We have had a lot of success with ENG 101 SWW.
(supplemental writing workshop).  Though this course is a 3 credit class,
students must attend five hours of instruction.  Three hours in class, one
hour in a workshop and one hour working one on one with a professional
writing tutor.  Dolores Quiles, Chair

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Adams, Peter D. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Lisa,
>
> At Community College of Baltimore County, our ALP sections are capped at
> 10.  In our traditional developmental sections, capped at 20, only 33% of
> the students ever passed ENG 101.  In our ALP sections, 74% pass ENG 101.
> That's more than doubling of the success rate.
>
> Of course, other features of ALP also contribute to the greatly improved
> success rates, but we are convinced that reducing the class size from 20 to
> 10 is a major factor.
>

> Peter Adams
> Professor Emeritus
> Community College of Baltimore County
>
> 443•710•1852

Dolores Quiles, Chair of English, Philosophy and Foreign Languages
SUNY Ulster,491 Cottekill Road, Stone Ridge, NY 12484
Vanderlyn 217. 845-687-5116 [log in to unmask]