Hello,

I've been also spending some time with the Panama Papers dataset.
However, in what concerns the network structure that could be
extracted from this data set, it's not yet very clear to me which
relations could be used for that purpose. The relational part of the
dataset is the file all_edges.csv, which contains 3 columns: the first
and the third columns contain node_ids and the second refers to the
following five types of relations that associate a node of the first
column with the corresponding node of the third column:
'intermediary_of', 'officer_of', 'registered_address', 'similar',
'underlying'. Apparently only the fourth type ('similar') is symmetric
(undirected) and all the other four types are obviously directed.

Given that the total number of all relations (edges) is very high
(1265690), I was wondering what sort of aggregations among types of
relations might simplify the complexity of the Panama papers network.

I would appreciate if someone is willing to share any ideas about a
meaningful aggregation scheme for relations. Of course, one could
disregard any sort of relational aggregation and treat the network as
a multilayered (multiplex) one, although the size and the complexity
of the Panama Papers network appear to be rather restraining.

I should add that, following Dmitry Zinoviev's original work on this
dataset, at the moment, I can make a number of computations and
visualizations for parts of the network (I'm using Python's Networkx
and Lightning-Python for interactive visualizations). For instance,
being motivated by what Dmitry is doing, I've managed to analyze the
ego-networks extracted from egos which are nodes of certain type
(officers, intermediaries, addresses, entities) associated with a
particular country and being connected to alters according to a
certain relationship type.

For instance, this is the (symmetric) network in the case that egos
are Greek officers and alters correspond to international entities and
addresses (aggregated by all types of relations-edges):

http://public.lightning-viz.org/visualizations/0a2669fc-f8bd-4cbf-b66f-1110f63c49df/public/

(This is just an example: I can produce such ego-centric networks for
any country in the Panama Papers data.)

Admittedly, I'm not pleased with the aggregation of relations I'm
doing here (perhaps the inclusion of addresses was redundant too) and,
thus, I would ask for your ideas, comments or suggestions.

--Moses