Valdis Krebs mentioned the Panama Papers a couple weeks ago. Well, the full
dataset of the Panama Papers, as well as a related offshore entity
investigation, have just been released by the ICIJ.  I'm not affiliated
with the releasing organizations in any way, but there's likely to be a
feeding frenzy on this, so I wanted to be sure the listserv received
immediate notice once the data became available.

The dataset is already up online in a graphical network format for the
casual use of the public and media. More interesting for our purposes, the
whole enchiada is available in multiple csv formats.

https://www.occrp.org/en/panamapapers/database

A word of warning, it is truly enormous; the edgelist file is beyond the
line limit for excel. Also bear in mind that the dataset is subject to some
form of GPL-style open data licensing that I'm not familiar with- I
recommend checking that information before you rev up your preferred
analysis tool.

In the event that folks haven't been following the news, the Panama Papers
represent a massive leak of offshore corporate entity information (~320,000
entities) from the Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonseca. Offshore entities
of the sort included in the leak can have legitimate or legal purposes, but
they are primarily seen as a means of tax avoidance or evasion, as well as
a venue of organized criminal activity. This is particularly the case with
firms like the one targeted in the leak. Until today, released information
from the leak had been more selective, but individual disclosures had
already brought down the Icelandic PM. This seems like a hot potato, but
the sheer size of the leak is making it difficult for the responsible
organizations, or the press, to process.

Regards,

Robert Marriott

Penn State University