There are numerous Web sites in Russia that offer course and diploma
projects, and dissertations. Services range from copy-editing to ready-to
launch dissertations, including original proposal, research, writing,
editing, and, in some cases, "defense" (that is, registering the
dissertation as having been defended). Just to give you some idea, here's a
sample site: http://studentbank.ru/?type=35. The authorities make few, if
any, attempts to curb this fake knowledge industry. This is truly scary.

--
Dmitry Zinoviev
Professor of Computer Science