Dear Nancy,

There is a lot of work done on negative ties in general and negative gossip in particular; specifically in organisational context. See the following references:

1) Grosser, T. J., Lopez-Kidwell, V., & Labianca, G. (2010). A social network analysis of positive and negative gossip in organizational lifeGroup and Organization Management35(2), 177-212. 10.1177/1059601109360391

2)  Beersma, B. and Van Kleef, G. A. (2012), Why People Gossip: An Empirical Analysis of Social Motives, Antecedents, and Consequences. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 42: 2640–2670. doi: 10.1111/j.1559-1816.2012.00956.x

3) Ellwardt, L., Labianca, J. & Wittek, R. (2012): Who Are the Objects of Positive and Negative Gossip at Work? A Social Network Perspective on Workplace Gossip. Social Networks 34(2), 193-205.

4) Grosser, T.J., Lopez-Kidwell, V., Labianca, G. & Ellwardt, L. (2012): Hearing It Through the Grapevine: Positive and Negative Workplace Gossip. Organizational Dynamics 41(1), 52-61.

5) Ellwardt, L., Steglich, C. & Wittek, R. (2012): The Co-evolution of Gossip and Friendship in Workplace Social Networks. Social Networks 34(4), 623-633

6) Ellwardt, L. (2011): Gossip in Organizations. A Social Network Study. ICS dissertation, Groningen

7) Labianca, G., & Brass, D.J. (2006). Exploring the Social Ledger: Negative Relationships and Negative Asymmetry in Social Networks in Organizations. Academy of Management Review, 31: 596-614.

Hope that helps. If I find more work I am happy to send you. I am working on negative gossip in organizational context. Still I would be more then interested to know what turns out for you.Please keep me posted on the results of your research.

Regards