Hi Nancy,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing such valuable work. Previous
suggestions about how to debunk myths made me think of the therapeutic
practice instead, where any feeling or thought before changing needs to be
fully heard. There are deep, legitimate thoughts and concerns underlying
any alleged myth.

Maybe social network surveys could help finding key individuals in the
spread of negative gossip as well as key negative gossip targets and use
the data to facilitate support networks, similarly to how it can be done in
health care (e.g. Green, H. D., Atuyambe, L., Ssali, S., Ryan, G. W., &
Wagner, G. J. (2010). Social Networks of PLHA in Uganda: Implications for
Mobilizing PLHA as Agents for Prevention. AIDS and Behavior, 15(5),
992–1002. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-010-9707-y).
The data maybe could be used to facilitate support networks of empathy
(empathy as an "antidote" of shame, which I am assuming is a big factor in
neighborhoods withered by negative gossip) and hopefully generate
opportunities for healing and thriving.
Support networks could be beneficial to the key "gossipers" as well as
gossip targets (the two groups may overlap), as a way to fully express and
hear the underlying thoughts, fears and concerns. Both could be presented
with opportunities, experiences, and real stories (to hopefully positively
gossip about!) that model healing and thriving after experiencing similar
phenomena as those in the negative gossips.

Kind regards,
Cat

Caterina Desiato

Doctoral candidate
Communication and Information Sciences
Instructional Design Assistant
Distance Course Design & Consulting Group
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa