Hello Guy,

We are now in the process of gathering ego-centric data among Polish
scientist through individual interviews. We have decided not to use any
software due to diverse digital skills (even among scholars). It would be
something difficult to control. Another reason has been related to
anonymity: although there are very useful online tools, using them would
mean that we are losing control over information that discloses our
interviewees.
We tried to use paper and pencils, but it was messy and mistakes were hard
to correct. Instead we went for post-it cards, drawing pins, rubbers, and
cork pin-boards. It is an interviewer who is responsible for arranging the
networks on a cork boards, but usually the general idea catches quickly and
respondents – not intimidated by the software that is unknown to them -
give useful advices concerning nodes and relations between them. As a
result, the corkboards facilitate obtaining qualitative data. It is faster
and does not require detailed explanations. We tried to let the respondents
fully mange it. However, if they are not familiar with the idea of
networks, they were trying to include representations of structures we are
not interested in, for example putting senior colleagues on top of the
board.

The results are very promising. Respondents are often interested in having
a photo of their ego network. I can imagine that you could just hand in a
cork board to a respondent after making photos. The material is affordable,
so you could use a new board for every respondent.

The two examples from out interviews can be found on the project page:
http://recon.icm.edu.pl/2016/05/05/ego-networks-examples-from-the-filed/

Best,

Dominika

<http://recon.icm.edu.pl/>