 as a public university records manager (the other half of my job is
digital archivist), that I think many archivists whose work doesn’t include
an institutional records mandate often miss. I get the sense from recent
archivist conferences and meetings that if we just raise our consciousness
enough, if we advocate just hard enough, if we can be just squeaky enough,
it’s within our power as archivists to prevent many of the issues around
things like digital black holes or archival silences. Being a records
manager has taught me that nothing could be farther from the truth; because
those with the most power within organizations are rarely the same
individuals tasked with carrying out records mandates, there will always be
archival silences despite archivists’ and records managers’ best efforts. I
may write in “Transfer to archives” under the disposition area of a records
retention schedule, but that act of instruction is not an assurance that
the records are actually preserved.

http://bit.ly/25n0u7w
http://bit.ly/25n0u7w+

--