Will Building of the Future be Cloaked in Algae?
smithsonianmag.com
May 26, 2015
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/will-buildings-future-be-cloaked-algae-180955396

Happy Saturday BEST Community,
As I am sure you have heard, this week in the bioenergy and sustainability school we have chosen the topic of “Green” Buildings. As I am sure many of you know, there is extensive research being done in BESS with regards to algae.  Josh Goff previously posted about sustainable buildings using algae to actually power a home. This is a pretty incredible concept that is looking like a possibility in our near future.

To continue the trend of algal uses in buildings, a London-based architecture firm begun designing gazebos in 2015 that had a “living” skin consisting of spirulina-a type of algae commonly used as a dietary supplement. The Gazebo is made of a transparent plastic that houses the algae. As more people utilize the gazebo, more CO2 will be omitted and therefore more will be absorbed by the algae. In addition, as the algae become more productive, the gazebo will darken and provide more shade. Although the algae will not be used to directly power a home, this gives us an opportunity cultivate and use the algae as a food crop or in our case, it can be used as biofuel.

Blaze Walsh
Undergraduate Intern
2016 Bio Energy and Sustainability School
Soil and Water Science Department