Students Show Off Sustainable Projects
Florida Today
May 15th, 2016
http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/2016/05/14/students-show-off-sustainable-projects/84250476/

Hello BEST community,

This week we've been discussing inter-generational learning of sustainable practices. As we pass the fulcrum of the week and hit the half way point of our discussion, let's take a second to look back on what has been covered thus far. On Monday Gill introduced us to the idea of just how beneficial it can be to instill the virtues of living sustainably at an early age with her article about the zero waste school, Lanikai Elementary. Then on Tuesday Erica showed us just how much of a difference introducing sustainable practices into a curriculum can make with her article about the Washburn school district in Wisconsin.

Today we take a step away from the classroom, because when it comes to a child's development and growth, the lessons learned beyond the walls of the school are just as important as what they learn within. EnergyWhiz is a competition held annually at the Florida Solar Energy Center in Cocoa, Florida. It's a competition that allows elementary, middle and high school students to try their hand at developing their own sustainable technology. The competition encompasses a plethora of categories ranging from everything from hydrogen-powered remote controlled cars to solar cookers. Throughout the competition the entrants are evaluated not based off of qualitative means, such as the speed of their cars, but instead on the efficiency of their creations.

These types of competitions give children an opportunity to develop and experience sustainable technology at a young age. Practices that are learned at a young age are more likely to stick with someone throughout the course of their life. So by providing children with this kind of outlet, we are in turn paving the road for a more sustainable future, and maybe that road will be filled with hydrogen-powered cars.

Joshua Goff
Undergraduate Intern
2016 BioEnergy & Sustainability School
Soil and Water Science Department