Good afternoon BEST members,

Hyperloop One Performs First Test Of Groundbreaking Technology
Published on May 15th 2016
http://www.iflscience.com/technology/hyperloop-one-performs-first-test-groundbreaking-technology/
Hyperloop One Performs First Test Of Groundbreaking ...<http://www.iflscience.com/technology/hyperloop-one-performs-first-test-groundbreaking-technology/>
www.iflscience.com
We've just had our first public test of Hyperloop and, well, while it was a little underwhelming, the implications are still pretty huge. Yesterday, Hyperloop One ...

This week we are looking at the topic of sustainable transportation. So far throughout history we've been using trains, cars, planes, and boats as a means of transportation. The hyperloop is a theoretical high-speed transport system which is said to be the fifth form of transport. It consists of near vacuum pressurized tubes in which a capsule levitates on a cushion of air. It resembles a train, but travels in a tube, uses air pressure as a propulsion system, and is powered by solar panels placed along the outside of the tube. The hyperloop is said to travel from Washington DC to New York in under 30 minutes. Although reduce travel time is impressive on its own, what is catching scientist attention is the fact that it sustains that speed while producing zero carbon emissions.

The idea of the hyperloop was first introduced in 2013, when SpaceX and Tesla CEO Elon Musk first posited the notion of zipping travelers between cities hundreds of miles apart at speeds greater than airplane travel. Musk has decided not to build a company around the innovation and instead sponsor a competition to source tech solutions for hyperloop. Since then, several companies such as Hyperloop One and Hyperloop Transportation Technologies have formed in the hopes of making such a dream come true.

 Last month Hyperloop One carried out their first public test in which a metal sled was propelled down a track while levitating on magnets. It accelerated to 2 g-force before hitting a patch of sand 100 yards away. Although the total test only took two seconds, it was enough to show that the concept works and the technology needed already exists.

Mario Tercero
Undergraduate Intern
2016 Bio Energy and Sustainability School
Soil and Water Science Department