Correy,

Thank you for bringing up an important issue for many Tutoring centers. I
have worked a lot this year to change the mechanics of how Tutoring works
in order to optimize our use of staff. It gets complicated to describe
since every Tutoring center is different, but I would be happy to elaborate
more on this if you'd like.

Some general practices I've put in place are aimed at the Tutor's
professional development and team building. I've begun having Tutors fill
out peer observations when they are idle in order to observe various
practices and techniques other Tutors use. I've also begun to encourage 2x1
Tutoring, if the situation would benefit from it, so that other Tutors
might be able to job the memory of the initial Tutor.

I've gone back and forth as to whether I should ask idle Tutors to look
into new facilitation or instructional techniques that work with their
courses and document them for other team members to use. The downside is
that by creating more work for idle Tutors almost means they are being
penalized for not having clients at the ready which is out of their control.

This is why I've worked on changing the operational workflow and not
placing a lot of the work on my student-employees.

*Thank you,*
Michael

Michael B. Key
Learning Initiatives Coordinator
Office of Learning Resources (OLR)
Ryan C. Harris Learning Teaching Center (LTC)
Room: 023A

University of Dayton
300 College Park
Dayton, OH 45469-1302

Phone: 937-229-2066
Fax: 937-229-3270
TTY:  937-229-2059 (available for individuals who are deaf and hard-of
hearing)
Email: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Website: go.udayton.edu/learning

*Learn more about:*
Office of Learning Resources at go.udayton.edu/learning
Tutoring at go.udayton.edu/tutoring
Supplemental Instruction at go.udayton.edu/si
Global Learning Support at go.udayton.edu/olr/global
The Write Place at go.udayton.edu/writeplace
Disability Services at go.udayton.edu/disability

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
The information contained in this electronic message is confidential and
notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail or
any of its components is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
email in error, please "reply" to the sender.