For the last couple years, our most successful event has been a "Minute to Win It" series of games, on the academic quad, with refreshments.  This past August, we did mocktails (Pina coladas, strawberry daiquiris, and Shirley Temples) along with a series of games such as:  throwing a ping pong ball into fish bowls with colored water, stacking empty soda cans on a plate floating in a ice bucket of water, picking up walnuts with chopsticks and moving them to another end of an area (timed and in competition with other people), math quizzes, and informational quizzes in other various areas (helps us identify prospective new tutors), etc.  We give out prizes from the Dollar Store.

If you don't want to do mocktails, try a Slushee machine, but make sure it works well and that you start set up very early.  We tried it the prior year without checking the rental in advance, and it didn't work.  We ended up switching over to hot apple cider and doughnuts, but it was cool that year.

My caveat is this:  It's easy to convince students to take your food, but it's harder to persuade them to use your services.  I've moved away from food-centered events after seeing our budget wiped out for events and almost no increase in utilization in the following week or two.  You need to couple the free food with an activity that gives your staff time to talk up the Center.  Also, if you're off the beaten path, do the event in a central area and hand out something telling them about your location.  If you can invest in some kind of item that students are likely to keep and look at periodically, it's ideal.  Good luck!

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, MA
Director, Center for Learning Resources
Winner of the 2016 ATP Program of Excellence Award
Safe Zone Ally
116 Marvin K. Peterson Library
University of New Haven -- "A Leader in Experiential Education"
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, CT  06516
Phone:  (203) 932-7415
Fax:  (203) 931-6013
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

"Tutoring to Help You Blossom Into a Better Student"

Thought of the day:  "A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else."  By John Burroughs